January 17, 2005

If you think the Cali flooding is bad...

I live just north of Indianapolis, with a warm spell melting snow and heavy rains have turned much of Indiana into a federal disaster area. Now comes the fun part. This weekend it turned cold again, freezing the flood waters and dropping 6 inches of snow. There is a park about 5 miles from Club Dave that floods approx. every spring. Now? It looks like a skating rink with 2 foot poles sticking out of the ice. The poles? It's the tops of swingsets and slides. Now living in a disaster area may seem like I'm rafting to the corner store for some milk, but the way the federal disaster rules are set up, it's really not like that. See, it's based on monetary damage done. In my county, I believe the number is 7 million dollars. I'd guess that the number of people displaced here is less than 1%. 7 million dollars is roughly 50-60 average homes. That's less than a subdivision here. One developer builds near a flood plain and guess what? Federal disaster. Now I'm not saying the flooding isn't bad, the fact that it's freezing over increases the damage tenfold. Only flooded in your crawlspace? That's not too bad, until it freezes and turns your foundation into rubble, or snaps your slab like a twig. I'll try to get out and get some pics soon.