January 07, 2004

I'm useless: FFX-2 is going to be the end of me

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a big effing PS2 RPG dork (playstation 2 role-playing game). My favorite being Final Fantasy X - which I spent about 244 logged hours playing. You can beat the game (and I did) in about 100 - and I played an additional 144 hours of "getting extra shit". (Which I never did complete I might add)

For instance, just look at all the shit they have over at GameFAQs, for FFX. Jeesus.

In any case, I went out and bought the one true sequel in the Final Fantasy series - FFX-2 and O.M.F.G. am I in a world of trouble.

Every time you get one of these games you have to learn a whole new interface, and all the other bullshit that goes along with a new game. Typically it takes me anywhere between 10 minutes (for most games) to 4-5 hours with the FF series games to get decent at handling the characters and figuring shit out intuitively. This game is giving me aneurisms. Not so much from the complexity to do stuff, b/c I think I've got that figured out, but there are literally ENDLESS possibilities as to how you can build your characters up. My jaw dropped when I finally started getting a feel for how layered the game is going to be. Keep in mind I've only got about an hour of "play time" in it.

From what I can tell so far, the game looks pretty badass. Great graphics, interesting concept (if you played FFX1) and whatever else you could ask for. The only downside is the 10 second lag between scene changes. Anyone know if you can get RAM upgrades for PS2's? Seriously.

I've come to the conclusion that, yes, I really am a dork.

Hah.